UW Rome Center Alumni Stories

Rhiannon by the Trevi Fountain in RomeRhiannon Hayes-McQueen

Hometown: Seattle, Washington
Class Standing: Freshman
Major: Engineering
Study abroad program: Freshmen Study Abroad: Travel Writing in the Eternal City
Destination: Rome, Italy

Tell us about your background.

I am from Seattle. I went on a study abroad trip to Barcelona with my sister the summer after my freshman year of high school. Other than that and a couple of family trips to Canada, and one to Mexico, I had never been abroad before studying in Rome.

Describe your study abroad program in a few sentences.

This program is a writing program in Rome, but much of the journey was about learning how to be travelers rather than tourists. We spent almost every morning going somewhere new and exciting- Trevi Fountain, churches, the Pantheon, the Forum and so much more, and the afternoons and evenings were time for us to explore the city on our own. Two weeks was the perfect amount of time for me, and it was an amazing opportunity to meet people I would be able to see around campus- before even getting to UW. The trip was led by Shawn Wong, an amazing professor and person, and Lauren Easterling, from UW Study Abroad. They know Rome very well and led us through all the highlights.

What was something unexpected that you got out of the experience?

I wasn’t expecting to feel so independent while in Rome. It was an amazing way to explore my independence and learn who I wanted to be before the pressure of starting my freshmen year at the University of Washington. Additionally, I really learned what it meant to be a traveler rather than a tourist, and I realized that I really enjoyed being a traveler (as opposed to a tourist).

Do you have a favorite memory from your time in Rome?

Professor Shawn Wong took us to Giardino degli Aranci, orange tree gardens with the most spectacular view. Just sitting, overlooking the view, surrounded by new friends was so peaceful, and I look forward to going back one day. While we were there I, along with a couple of my peers, participated in Tai Chi with some locals. Never before have I felt so relaxed.

What building or site first comes to mind when you think of Rome?

Before going to Rome I thought of the Colosseum, but now I definitely think of Giardino degli Aranci and Villa de’Este.