Undergraduate Academic Affairs

June 28, 2024

The Path to UW and beyond

Danielle Marie Holland

“When I first embarked on the Path to UW program, I was daunted, to say the least,” said Chloe Sarmiento, a journalism and public interest communication major.

Photo of Chloe Sarmiento

Chloe Sarmiento’s UW coursework and hands-on learning experiences allowed her to kick-start her dream career in the music industry.Photo by Jayden Becles

As a first-generation college student, Sarmiento, ’24, had always aspired to pursue higher education. “With the assistance of my professors at Seattle Central College and the Path to UW program, my transition was smoother than I anticipated. I am grateful for the generous support I’ve received,” she said.

Sarmiento is one of the 20 undergraduates in the first graduating cohort of the Path to UW. She describes her time at the University of Washington as truly unforgettable — forming enduring friendships, acquiring invaluable experiences and taking on challenging academic courses all fostered her growth as a student. Resources within her major enabled her to broaden her horizons and pinpoint her specific interests. “The most important part of my college experience at UW was gaining practical experience in the media landscape,” Sarmiento explained. She added, “With my professors’ support, I could achieve exactly that.”

The Path to UW, an innovative partnership with the Seattle Promise program, launched in January 2022. This critical initiative addresses educational equity gaps,  paving the way for students like Sarmiento. These students are transitioning from North, Central or South Seattle Colleges to the University of Washington. 

At the UW, Sarmiento’s coursework and hands-on learning experiences allowed her to kick-start her dream career in the music industry. She recently concluded her role as the GRAMMY U representative for the Pacific Northwest Chapter of the Recording Academy, taking on leadership roles and being an on-stage trophy holder at the 2024 GRAMMYs Premiere Ceremony in Los Angeles. After graduation, Sarmiento plans to continue working in music. 

Nationally, only one in seven students who start at a community college complete a bachelor’s degree within six years. In Washington, less than half of community college students who intend to transfer to a four-year institution do so. With support from the City of Seattle’s Department of Early Learning and Education (DEEL), the Path to UW is working to close equity gaps by providing robust advising services, peer connections, guidance on course selection and assistance with applications to ensure a smooth transition.

Sarmiento encourages students considering transferring to the UW to make full use of these available resources. “There are numerous resources specifically for transfer students, and using them will only benefit you,” she advised. “Knowing your support network and building meaningful connections will ensure a smooth transition into UW, so start developing those relationships early!”

Photo of Jonathan Bristle

Jonathan Bristle aims to pursue his Ph.D. in molecular and cellular biology, focusing on pathology or virology.Photo by Jayden Becles

“I was nervous when I embarked on the Path to UW program,” admitted Jonathan Bristle. Graduating from high school during the COVID-19 pandemic left him uncertain of his next steps. His Path to UW adviser recommended a class to help him explore his interests. “This class was beneficial because I answered questionnaires about career paths that matched my personality. Eventually, I selected biology as my major!” Bristle exclaimed.

At the UW, Bristle, ’24, sought research experiences while navigating the large classes. “Transitioning from a small classroom to a lecture hall can be daunting,” Bristle recalls, remembering his initial foray into a CHEM 237 lecture without knowing anyone. “Eventually, I found a group of people who also found organic chemistry challenging. They’ve been a fantastic support system as friends and study buddies.”

Bristle was determined to overcome the challenges of finding research opportunities as a junior. He ultimately secured positions in ecology, fieldwork and molecular biology. “I value these experiences because they influenced my career interests and helped me identify my preferences,” Bristle shared. “A research career has always been in line with my goal of making a meaningful impact on people’s lives.” Bristle aims to pursue his Ph.D. in molecular and cellular biology, focusing on pathology or virology. “I enjoy studying the molecular mechanisms of diseases and viruses.”

His main advice for new transfers is to soak up as much as possible at the UW, recommending “transfer students should network, utilize resources and seek opportunities throughout the academic year or summer.” He also advises transfers to apply for summer internships, saying, “they are a great way to build experience and connections, and the Career and Internship Center can help you apply.” 

Photo of Jackson Kolar in the library.

Jackson Kolar made the Dean’s list various times over his two years at the UW.Photo by Jayden Becles

“When I was first thinking about transferring to UW the application process seemed overwhelming,” said Jackson Kolar. When he learned that the Path to UW provided advising support, he was relieved, “my adviser made the application and transfer process run so much smoother.”

Kolar, ’24, cites his time at the UW as one of rich learning, “My academic journey was only part of the learning experience when I consider how much I came to know about myself.” Balancing personal, academic and work life, Kolar navigated, through trial and error, the management of activities, choices and goals. “I learned how to manage stress and came to understand how important routines are in my life to keep me productive,” he said. “I learned how to live on my own and build connections with people, all while pursuing a degree in psychology.” 

Kolar made the Dean’s list various times over his two years at the UW and has expanded his worldview from a psychological standpoint. Kolar’s experience allowed him to learn to pursue the things he most values. After graduation, he is set to travel abroad, even visiting his first-year roommates in India. Upon his return, Kolar plans to pursue a career at the Seattle Clinic while considering graduate school. 

To undergrads considering a transfer, Kolar encourages them not only for the opportunity, but the adventure. “UW is a massive school with a place for everyone,” Kolar shared. “UW has resources for students to pursue a wide-range of activities and studies, while supporting students from all backgrounds in their own way socially, academically and personally.”